What are the benefits of toe socks?

Toe socks can help reduce friction from your toes rubbing against one another, and from your toes rubbing on your shoe.  Traditionally distance runners use toe socks to help prevent blisters.  However, toe socks can also provide sensory feedback, which helps beginning runners and fitness walkers direct their attention to a proper toe "push-off" during a stride.

Beginning runners and fitness walkers often need to learn a more efficient running or walking form.  Dress shoes, high-heeled shoes, and casual apparel such as flip-flops can cause people to alter the way that their foot strikes the ground during a stride, to the point where a less efficient form has become habit.  Overcoming these habitual ways of moving takes mental focus, but taking the time to develop more efficient biomechanics can help runners and walkers improve their performance and reduce the risk of injury.

One important feature of an efficient running form is the "toe-off," when a person's center of gravity rolls through the ball of the foot, and the toes help "push" the stride forward. In ordinary socks, our toes only touch each other, and most of the time we are not aware of how our toes slide against one another as we move forward.  Toe socks can provide extra sensory feedback that comes from having fabric between your toes, and help draw a person's conscious attention to the movement of the toes during the "toe-off" portion of the stride.

For more information about how to improve the biomechanics of your walking or running stride, see the book "Natural Running" by Danny Abshire & Brian Meltzer.  

Athletic toe socks reduce the friction between toes and shoes during activity. Typically seen in distance runners, toe socks provide a layer of fabric between each toe that reduces the likelihood of blisters, hang nails, and other foot injuries caused by rubbing of the toes on the shoe or other toes.

Continue Learning about Fitness Footwear

Are shoes that simulate barefoot running safe?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Some people point to the fact that many groups of people in history have run incredible distances su...
How can I make my sneakers fit better?
You can custom-fit your athletic shoes to your footfall with an orthotic insert. Some shoes stor...
How often should I change my athletic shoes?
How often an athlete needs to change their shoes depends somewhat on the size of the runner and ...
What Are the Best Shoes to Wear to Protect Your Feet?