If exercise feels awkward, what do I do?

The feelings of awkwardness can find its roots in many different places. If you are exercising for the first time, a bit of awkwardness is to be expected. Anytime you do something that is foreign to you, you might feel a bit out of place. The first step is to determine the true reason as to why you feel this way. Do you feel uncomfortable in a gym setting with lots of people? If this is the case, find out when your gym's peak times are, and schedule your workout during off-peak hours. Are you unfamiliar with the proper use of gym equipment? Consult a fitness professional to teach you about correct form and proper execution. The purchase of a few sessions can be one of the best investments you can make toward your health. Are you simply uncomfortable with this new challenge? Then, start building a support system. Ask your friends to exercise with you, or join a group fitness class. Once you have determined the true reason for the awkwardness, you can take steps to overcome it. Just remember that the awkwardness is fixable and temporary. Once you establish your routine and stick with for some time, you will become more comfortable with the process. Do not let the awkwardness prevent you from working out. Take proactive steps, and soon, it will be a distant memory.

Continue Learning about Fitness

A Good Reason to Skip the Gym
A Good Reason to Skip the Gym
If you're still struggling to become a "gym person," maybe you should stop trying so hard. A study suggests that working out at home can be just as e...
What can I do to stay fit when I travel?
Grannies on SafariGrannies on Safari
A traveler loses control over food choices by restaurant availability, by being restricted to what i...
Your Exercise Wake-Up Call
Your Exercise Wake-Up CallYour Exercise Wake-Up CallYour Exercise Wake-Up CallYour Exercise Wake-Up Call
Skipping a regular workout can put you at risk for serious health problems, including cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. Learn how exercise protects your...
What Is Kung Fu?
What Is Kung Fu?