What are the possible benefits of using a pedometer?

A pedometer may assist and allow you to walk more by seeing your progress. If a goal is to walk 10,000 steps each day then you will know how close or how far away from that daily goal you are. Visuals are a great way to lead to success and after you complete those 10,000 steps you will feel accomplished for the day!

A pedometer is an inexpensive tool that counts your steps and may measure the distance and duration of your walk. You might want to purchase one as a motivating and fun way to get moving more.

About 2,000 steps are equal to a mile. Start by wearing your pedometer for two or three days to see how many steps you take with your current level of activity. Then gradually work to increase that to 10,000 steps a day.

Walk at a pace that is both enjoyable and invigorating for you. Some find that walking with hand weights makes for a more challenging workout, but before you do that check with your provider or exercise physiologist.

Want a sexier tummy, better blood pressure and the energy you had 10 years ago? Get yourself a pedometer and start walking. This little gadget measures how many steps you take, and it will help you take enough steps each day -- 10,000 -- to qualify you as an "active" person. Plus, it might inspire you to go an extra 2,000 steps by thinking, "If I walk to Joe's office instead of e-mailing him, that's 50 steps . . . If I park at the end of the lot, that's 150 more steps, both to and from." Give it a shot!

Take the RealAge Test!

Both Mehmet Oz, MD, and media mogul Rupert Murdoch swear by their pedometers and fitness trackers. Indeed, charting your movement throughout the day can help to get you moving if you are not motivated and help achieve your daily fitness goals. When it comes to steps per day, 10,000 is the gold standard. It means you have walked about five miles in a given day. Some fitness trackers can measure intensity of exercise, which can be helpful if time is limited.  When you do get up and move it should be more vigorous activity, especially if you are only getting up a few times during your typical workday to move around. When using a pedometer, you can begin with a goal of 3,000 steps per day, and add another 1,000 steps every week till you hit the 10,000 steps per day goal.

Continue Learning about Fitness

Easy Way to Up Your Exercise Endorphins
Easy Way to Up Your Exercise Endorphins
You know that nice mood you get from your daily walk? Here's an easy way to ratchet up those feel-good feelings a notch or two: Invite a friend. Rese...
The Weekend Warrior—Some Exercise is Better Than None
In the 2015-16 season, the Golden State Warriors posted the best single season win/loss record (73-9) in NBA history. But at the end of the season, wh...
Exercise to Get Smart
Exercise to Get Smart
Whenever I'm trying to figure out a solution to a particularly thorny problem, my first instinct is to go for a walk, hop on my bike, or take off on m...
How do corporate fitness programs help employees and the company?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Corporations must take more responsibility for helping their valuable employees get their bodies...