How can I increase aerobic fitness?

Dr. Mike Clark, DPT
Fitness
You can increase your aerobic fitness by doing exercises that get your heart rate up (take 225 - your age x 70%) for 20 minutes or longer.  Examples of exercises include; fast walking, jogging, treadmill, bike, swimming.
There are many exercise methods to improve your aerobic fitness. But the most important factor to consider is starting slow and gradually increasing the duration and intensity of your exercise routine. Strive for a minimum of 150 minutes per week of moderately intense exercise. This will help your body adjust and adapt to exercise building an “aerobic base”. After you have built an aerobic base, adding intervals into your routine will further increase your aerobic fitness. Interval training combines short bursts of high intensity exercise (such as a sprint) with moderate/low intensity exercise (slow jog). Since your workouts are getting longer and more intense, it will be equally important to rest and recuperate between workouts to help your body recover and minimize the risk of injury.

Continue Learning about Fitness

Sex Does Not Inhibit Athletic Performance
 In 2007, Sylvester Stallone gave up having sex in order to improve his performance as Rocky in his movie Rocky Balboa. That’s taking the commonly hel...
What Breakdancing Moves Can I Use for Exercise?
What Should I Know Before I Try Kung Fu?
4 Ways to Avoid Workout Injuries and Burn More Calories