Can fear of failure be a barrier to improving fitness levels?

Fear of failure probably short circuits more fitness programs than any other obstacle. Fear is simply the brain's response to a threat. Being pushed past our comfort zone during training can sometimes cause us to feel threatened, which, in turn, can create self-defeating thoughts. Continuously engaging in self-defeating thought patterns can cause our actions to follow suit. There are a few things you can do to help with the fear of failure. First, acknowledge the fear and that you have a choice about how to deal with it. Second, break up big goals into smaller ones. This can help reduce the intensity of the fear felt. Third, pace yourself and focus on making changes over time as opposed to all at once. Finally, celebrate each small milestone achieved. This will help you build a conscious history of success.

Fear of failure can be a barrier, but can also be a motivating factor if used correctly. Most great athletes use their fears as reason to train harder so the likelihood they will fail is greatly reduced. Remember, you can only disappoint you when it comes to your own fitness, and have a tremendous support team in Sharecare that is here to help!

Continue Learning about Fitness

3 Big Benefits of Exercise
3 Big Benefits of Exercise
Your doctor has probably coached you on the importance of a smart diet to manage your cholesterol. But physical activity is another important piece of...
How Can I Gauge My Intensity If I Don’t Have a Heart Rate Monitor?
Fitness Challenge: You’re Invited
Fitness Challenge: You’re Invited
Beth Oliver & Darren Treasure: The Mind/Body Connection