Why do some athletes wear hinged knee braces?

Generally speaking, there are two types of braces. Functional knee braces help provide stability for previously injured joints. Prophylactic knee braces are worn in an attempt to prevent injuries. How they work and their effectiveness is a bit cloudy and varies depending on the type of activity, condition of the joint and soft tissues, as well as the amount and rate of loading. A key point to remember is that no brace can replace proper strengthening of the joint and surrounding musculature.

Continue Learning about Fitness Apparel

What kind of swimsuit should I wear to hide my belly?
The best swimsuits to camouflage a big belly are made with extra Lycra and ruched fabric around ...
How can I exercise if I'm uncomfortable wearing workout clothes in public?
Rose ReismanRose Reisman
Some gyms feel like being in a Jennifer Lopez music video. Everyone looks too good to be true. I...
What clothes and shoes do I need to start a walking program?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
To get off on the right foot with a walking program, it’s important to have the proper clothing:...
What type of clothes should I wear to workout in?
Michael Bergeron, PhDMichael Bergeron, PhD
These days, there are a lot of options for kids and adults. Your best bet for exercising in the heat...