When can I stop performing CPR on an adult?

Once you begin CPR, do not stop except in one of these situations:

• You see an obvious sign of life, such as breathing.
  • An AED is available and ready to use.
  • Another trained responder or EMS personnel take over.
  •  
  • You are too exhausted to continue. 
  • The scene becomes unsafe.

If at any time you notice that the person is breathing, stop CPR. Keep his or her airway open and continue to monitor the person’s breathing and for any changes in the person’s condition until EMS personnel take over.

American Red Cross, fire fighters, paramedic, victim, resucitation mask, prepare for rescue breathing,

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

What should I do before providing first aid?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
You should do the following before providing first aid:Check to make sure the scene is safe before...
How do I record information of my interview of an injured or ill person?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Preferably, have someone else write it down for you. Give the information to EMS personnel when ...
What is the head-tilt/chin-lift technique to help open an airway?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The head-tilt/chin-lift technique moves the tongue away from the back of the throat, allowing air to...
How should I examine someone in an emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Take two basic steps: Interview the person and bystanders Examine the person from head to toe