When can I stop performing CPR on an adult?

Most of the time, compressions should continue until the paramedics take over. Watch this video with Debbie Licht, RN from Los Robles Hospital & Medical Center to learn more.
Once you begin CPR, do not stop except in one of these situations:

• You see an obvious sign of life, such as breathing.
  • An AED is available and ready to use.
  • Another trained responder or EMS personnel take over.
  •  
  • You are too exhausted to continue. 
  • The scene becomes unsafe.

If at any time you notice that the person is breathing, stop CPR. Keep his or her airway open and continue to monitor the person’s breathing and for any changes in the person’s condition until EMS personnel take over.

American Red Cross, fire fighters, paramedic, victim, resucitation mask, prepare for rescue breathing,

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

How do you perform CPR chest compressions on an infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Give 30 chest compressions using the pads of these fingers to compress the chest.  Compress the c...
How do I assess a conscious victim before giving first aid?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Hopefully you have taken a first aid course. Remember, Do No Further Harm - if you are unsure or you...
How should I calm someone having a heart attack?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Be calm and reassuring. Comforting the person helps to reduce anxiety and eases some of the disc...
How do I give rescue breaths to an infant when performing CPR?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
After giving 30 chest compressions, give 2 rescue breaths, covering the infant’s mouth and nose wi...