When can I stop performing CPR on a child or an infant?

Do not stop CPR except in one of these situations:
  • You see an obvious sign of life, such as breathing.
  • An AED is ready to use.
  • Another trained responder or EMS personnel take over. 
  • You are too exhausted to continue.
  • The scene becomes unsafe.

If at any time you notice the child or infant begin to breathe, stop CPR, keep the airway open and monitor breathing and for any changes in the child's or infant's condition until EMS personnel take over.

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

What is the proper technique for spine boarding?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Spine boarding is a technique that is used to transport an athlete for emergency care whenever a cer...
How should I calm someone having a heart attack?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Be calm and reassuring. Comforting the person helps to reduce anxiety and eases some of the disc...
What is the head-tilt/chin-lift technique to help open an airway?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The head-tilt/chin-lift technique moves the tongue away from the back of the throat, allowing air to...
How do you perform CPR chest compressions on an infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Give 30 chest compressions using the pads of these fingers to compress the chest.  Compress the c...