What is cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)?

CPR, or cardiopulmonary resuscitation, is a combination of chest compressions and rescue breaths.

When the heart is not beating, chest compressions are needed to circulate blood containing oxygen.

Given together, rescue breaths and chest compressions help to take over for the heart and lungs.
CPR is an emergency medical procedure used to get a heart pumping again after it has stopped. Learn more about CPR by watching this video with Debbie Licht, RN from Los Robles Hospital & Medical Center.

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

How do I record information of my interview of an injured or ill person?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Preferably, have someone else write it down for you. Give the information to EMS personnel when ...
How should I examine someone in an emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Take two basic steps: Interview the person and bystanders Examine the person from head to toe
How do I give rescue breaths to an infant when performing CPR?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
After giving 30 chest compressions, give 2 rescue breaths, covering the infant’s mouth and nose wi...
How do you perform CPR chest compressions on an infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Give 30 chest compressions using the pads of these fingers to compress the chest.  Compress the c...