During CPR, what happens to the heart when I give chest compressions?

When you press down, the walls of the heart squeeze together, forcing the blood to empty out of the heart.

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

What should I do before providing first aid?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
You should do the following before providing first aid:Check to make sure the scene is safe before...
What three things keep the right amount of blood flowing in the body?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The heart must be working well An adequate amount of oxygen-rich blood must be circulating in the ...
How do I assess a conscious victim before giving first aid?
Hopefully you have taken a first aid course. Remember, Do No Further Harm - if you are unsure or you...
How do I record information of my interview of an injured or ill person?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Preferably, have someone else write it down for you. Give the information to EMS personnel when ...