What should I do if I can't perform CPR with rescue breaths on an adult?

If you are unable or unwilling for any reason to perform full CPR (with rescue breaths), give continuous chest compressions (hands only CPR) after calling 9-1-1 or the local emergency number.

Continue giving chest compressions until EMS personnel take over or you see an obvious sign of life, such as breathing.

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

What is the proper technique for spine boarding?
There are multiple techniques for properly spine boarding an individual, such as the log-roll, scoop...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.