What should I do if I can't perform CPR with rescue breaths on an adult?

If you are unable or unwilling for any reason to perform full CPR (with rescue breaths), give continuous chest compressions (hands only CPR) after calling 9-1-1 or the local emergency number.

Continue giving chest compressions until EMS personnel take over or you see an obvious sign of life, such as breathing.

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

How do you perform CPR chest compressions on an infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Give 30 chest compressions using the pads of these fingers to compress the chest.  Compress the c...
What three things keep the right amount of blood flowing in the body?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The heart must be working well An adequate amount of oxygen-rich blood must be circulating in the ...
How should I examine someone in an emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Take two basic steps: Interview the person and bystanders Examine the person from head to toe
What is the proper technique for spine boarding?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Spine boarding is a technique that is used to transport an athlete for emergency care whenever a cer...