How do I position myself correctly to perform CPR on an adult?

1. Position your body correctly by kneeling beside the person’s upper chest, placing your hands in the correct position.
  2. Keep your arms and elbows as straight as possible so that your shoulders are directly over your hands. 
  3. Compressing the person’s chest straight down will help you reach the necessary depth. Using the correct body position also will be less tiring for you.
American Red Cross, fist aid equipment, kneeling , shoulders over hands, heel of hand on chest, hand over hand, interlace fingers, compress down and up

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

How do I record information of my interview of an injured or ill person?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Preferably, have someone else write it down for you. Give the information to EMS personnel when ...
What three things keep the right amount of blood flowing in the body?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The heart must be working well An adequate amount of oxygen-rich blood must be circulating in the ...
What should I do before providing first aid?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
You should do the following before providing first aid:Check to make sure the scene is safe before...
How should I examine someone in an emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Take two basic steps: Interview the person and bystanders Examine the person from head to toe