How do I position myself correctly to perform CPR on an adult?

1. Position your body correctly by kneeling beside the person’s upper chest, placing your hands in the correct position.
  2. Keep your arms and elbows as straight as possible so that your shoulders are directly over your hands. 
  3. Compressing the person’s chest straight down will help you reach the necessary depth. Using the correct body position also will be less tiring for you.
American Red Cross, fist aid equipment, kneeling , shoulders over hands, heel of hand on chest, hand over hand, interlace fingers, compress down and up

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

What should I do before providing first aid?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
You should do the following before providing first aid:Check to make sure the scene is safe before...
How do I give rescue breaths to an infant when performing CPR?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
After giving 30 chest compressions, give 2 rescue breaths, covering the infant’s mouth and nose wi...
What is the proper technique for spine boarding?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Spine boarding is a technique that is used to transport an athlete for emergency care whenever a cer...
What is the head-tilt/chin-lift technique to help open an airway?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The head-tilt/chin-lift technique moves the tongue away from the back of the throat, allowing air to...