How do I position myself correctly to perform CPR on a child?

For children 1 and older: Position your body as you would for an adult, kneeling next to the child's upper chest, positioning your shoulders over your hands and keeping your arms and elbows as straight as possible. For infants, place one hand on the child's forehead and (for chest compressions) three fingers of the other hand on the center of the child's chest, just below the nipple line. Your hand should be over the fingers.

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

How do I record information of my interview of an injured or ill person?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Preferably, have someone else write it down for you. Give the information to EMS personnel when ...
How do you perform CPR chest compressions on an infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Give 30 chest compressions using the pads of these fingers to compress the chest.  Compress the c...
How do I assess a conscious victim before giving first aid?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Hopefully you have taken a first aid course. Remember, Do No Further Harm - if you are unsure or you...
What is the proper technique for spine boarding?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Spine boarding is a technique that is used to transport an athlete for emergency care whenever a cer...