How do I position myself correctly to perform CPR on a child?

For children 1 and older: Position your body as you would for an adult, kneeling next to the child's upper chest, positioning your shoulders over your hands and keeping your arms and elbows as straight as possible. For infants, place one hand on the child's forehead and (for chest compressions) three fingers of the other hand on the center of the child's chest, just below the nipple line. Your hand should be over the fingers.

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

What is the head-tilt/chin-lift technique to help open an airway?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The head-tilt/chin-lift technique moves the tongue away from the back of the throat, allowing air to...
How should I examine someone in an emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Take two basic steps: Interview the person and bystanders Examine the person from head to toe
How do I record information of my interview of an injured or ill person?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Preferably, have someone else write it down for you. Give the information to EMS personnel when ...
How do I give rescue breaths to an infant when performing CPR?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
After giving 30 chest compressions, give 2 rescue breaths, covering the infant’s mouth and nose wi...