How should I do hands-only cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)?

Here's a short course on hands-only cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) steps to take in an emergency:
  1. Check to make sure the person has stopped breathing and has no heartbeat. If the person moves or pushes you away, stop administering CPR.
  2. Dial 911.
  3. Placing one of your hands on top of the other, put a palm against the person's breastbone (right in the middle of the chest) and push down hard and rapidly. The chest should compress about 2 inches. Press at least 100 times a minute or more.
  4. Keep doing chest compressions until you are too tired or until help arrives. If CPR is started within 4 minutes of collapse and defibrillation (i.e., electric shock with the paddles) is given within 10 minutes, a person has a 40% chance of survival.

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

How do I give rescue breaths to an infant when performing CPR?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
After giving 30 chest compressions, give 2 rescue breaths, covering the infant’s mouth and nose wi...
How should I examine someone in an emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Take two basic steps: Interview the person and bystanders Examine the person from head to toe
How do I assess a conscious victim before giving first aid?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Hopefully you have taken a first aid course. Remember, Do No Further Harm - if you are unsure or you...
How do you perform CPR chest compressions on an infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Give 30 chest compressions using the pads of these fingers to compress the chest.  Compress the c...