How did cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) begin?

Leigh Vinocur, MD
Emergency Medicine
In the late 1800s and early 1900s there were reports of successful resuscitations using some external chest compressions (Drs. Fredrich Maass and George Crile). However, it wasn’t until the late 1950s and early 1960s that scientific evidence showed exhaled air in mouth-to-mouth was sufficient to sustain good enough oxygen levels needed to breathe (Drs. James Elam and Peter Safar).

In addition, if this was coupled with external chest compressions, which created an adequate blood pressure, this technique was sufficient to resuscitate individuals, thus allowing some victims to survive (Drs. William Kouwenhoven, Guy Knickerbocker and James Jude). This coupling of mouth-to-mouth and chest compression was presented at the annual Maryland Medical Society in 1960. It became what we know as CPR today.

So in 1963, the American Heart Association (AHA) formally endorsed it, along with the American Red Cross, which helped to establish standardized trainings and protocols. It’s now estimated that about 12 million people, both healthcare professionals and lay people, are trained in CPR each year.

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

What should I do before providing first aid?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
You should do the following before providing first aid:Check to make sure the scene is safe before...
How do you perform CPR chest compressions on an infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Give 30 chest compressions using the pads of these fingers to compress the chest.  Compress the c...
How do I record information of my interview of an injured or ill person?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Preferably, have someone else write it down for you. Give the information to EMS personnel when ...
What is the head-tilt/chin-lift technique to help open an airway?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The head-tilt/chin-lift technique moves the tongue away from the back of the throat, allowing air to...