How do I check an unconscious victim's breathing, circulation?

Follow these steps to check whether an unconscious victim is breathing and to see if they have any signs of circulation:

1. With the victim's airway open, look, listen, and feel for breathing for about 5-10 seconds by placing your cheek near the victim's mouth and watching for their chest to rise and fall.
2. Check the victim for signs of circulation, such as movement, coughing, or groaning.
3. If the victim is not breathing but does show signs of circulation, perform to rescue breathing. If the victim is not breathing and has no signs of circulation, perform to CPR.

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

How should I examine someone in an emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Take two basic steps: Interview the person and bystanders Examine the person from head to toe
How do I record information of my interview of an injured or ill person?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Preferably, have someone else write it down for you. Give the information to EMS personnel when ...
What three things keep the right amount of blood flowing in the body?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The heart must be working well An adequate amount of oxygen-rich blood must be circulating in the ...
How do I give rescue breaths to an infant when performing CPR?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
After giving 30 chest compressions, give 2 rescue breaths, covering the infant’s mouth and nose wi...