Should I seek medical care for a child with an ear infection?

An ear infection in a child, especially one in the inner ear (which can only be seen by healthcare professional), can cause hearing loss. It is important, therefore, that it be seen and treated.
A healthcare provider should be contacted if:
  • The child’s signs of an ear infection last longer than a day.
  • You see a discharge of blood or pus from the ear. This could indicate a ruptured eardrum.
  • The child’s symptoms do not improve or get worse after he or she has been diagnosed by a healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Which Is More Sanitary: Hand Towels or Air Dryers?
When you're in a public restroom, do you go for the paper towels or the air dryer after you wash your hands? To get your paws cleanest, choose the tow...
How can I tell if an adult is having a cardiac emergency?
The following are signs and symptoms of an adult having a cardiac emergency: chest pain, jaw or ...
Tips for a Fun and Safe Halloween
Tips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe Halloween
From candy to costumes, these tips will keep your kids safe this Halloween.
What Does the CDC Do to Help Make the US and World Safer and Healthier?