question

When do I use first aid?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Donna Hill Howes, RN
answer

First aid should be used any time there is an illness, injury, or emergency situation that requires treatment and emergency personnel have not arrived. In some cases, the situation and resulting first aid may be minor - some antibiotic ointment and a bandage for a small cut, for example. In other cases, it may be an emergency that could save a life, such as performing CPR. You should only administer first aid in more serious cases if you are trained to do so.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Toilet Seat Covers: Do They Work?
Toilet Seat Covers: Do They Work?
My husband runs every day with a jogging group. Often in the course of their runs they have a need for a Porta Potty. One day the guys in the group we...
The Scary Things You May Not Know About Drowning
If you’re the parent of a young child or a lover of water sports, the thought of drowning probably seems like a frightening, yet unlikely scenario. Bu...
What to Do If You Have a Spider Bite
What to Do If You Have a Spider Bite
If you get spooked by spiders like we do, remember this: Most spiders are harmless – and in fact, they're necessary for the environment. “Spiders are ...
What is the first important thing I should do to help an injured person?
The first important thing you should do to help an injured person is call 911. Learn more from our e...