When do I use first aid?

First aid should be used any time there is an illness, injury, or emergency situation that requires treatment and emergency personnel have not arrived. In some cases, the situation and resulting first aid may be minor - some antibiotic ointment and a bandage for a small cut, for example. In other cases, it may be an emergency that could save a life, such as performing CPR. You should only administer first aid in more serious cases if you are trained to do so.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Bug Bite Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
Along with backyard barbeques, picnics and humid hikes on summer days, come bug bites—lots of them. Some may simply go unnoticed while others are so i...
In an emergency, what should I do for the person after calling 9-1-1?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Check the person for life-threatening conditions, and give the necessary care: Do no further ha...
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
From fireworks to backyard barbeques, here’s how to help ensure your July 4th is fun and injury-free.
What Does the CDC Do to Help Make the US and World Safer and Healthier?