What should I know about using sunscreen if I have poison ivy?

A rash from poison ivy can range from just a few bumps to an advanced rash that may cover much of your body. In either case, you need to be especially careful with your normal skin care habits. If your poison ivy rash is blistered and oozing, only apply those products recommended by your doctor or dermatologist to the affected area. If you will be exposed to the sun, instead of applying sunscreen to the rash, your doctor may recommend that you cover that area of your body with loose clothing so you don't irritate the rash.

On the other areas of your skin that are not affected with poison ivy rash, you should apply a sunscreen, after washing your hands carefully with warm water and soap. Always use sunscreen products that protect against both UVA and UVB sunlight with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 30.

If you have any questions or concerns about using sunscreen with your poison ivy rash, talk to your doctor or dermatologist.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Know the Chicken Move
Know the Chicken Move
If you’re like me, shopping is like a second job during the holiday shopping season. I’m not particularly paranoid, but I do want to be prepared in ca...
Which health professionals are trained in spine boarding?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The health professionals trained in spine boarding are: Athletic Trainers; Team physicians: Emergenc...
Tailgating Traumas to Avoid
Tailgating Traumas to AvoidTailgating Traumas to AvoidTailgating Traumas to AvoidTailgating Traumas to Avoid
Get your party on and get home safely.
What Are Some Grilling Safety Tips?
What Are Some Grilling Safety Tips?