What is a home remedy for minor burns?

Dr. Oz's family reaches for the home remedies before opening the medicine cabinet. In this video, Dr. Oz reveals his favorite natural fix for minor burns.

Minor burns are initially treated with cooling and cleansing. First, remove clothing and debris from the area of the burn, then use cold tap water to cool the skin. Avoid using ice, as this may worsen the pain. Once cool, the wound may be cleaned with mild soap and water. Further treatment depends upon the severity of the burn, and a medical professional should assess this.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Help Kids Spring into Summer: Trampoline Safety
When Hollywood stuntwoman Leigh Hennessy walks up a wall or sails over a 20-foot fence she’s launches from an unseen trampoline -- right into her role...
How can I help a victim who is not breathing and has been under water?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
First, have someone call 911 immediately. If there is a possibility that the person injured their sp...
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
From fireworks to backyard barbeques, here’s how to help ensure your July 4th is fun and injury-free.
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?