What should I do if someone's finger has been amputated?

Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Emergency Medicine
If a fingertip has been amputated, it's crucial to get to the ER immediately. Take steps to preserve the amputated fingertip by wrapping it in moist gauze or cloth, placing it in a plastic bag, and then putting that plastic bag inside another bag that is filled with ice. It's very important that the fingertip not come in direct contact with the ice, just be kept cold. For the injured hand, apply pressure with a large gauze or towel, and have the person hold their hand above the height of their heart.  
Call 911. Apply direct pressure and elevate the hand. If the amputated finger is contaminated, rinse the tip and wrap it in a cool wet cloth, then put it in a bag and submerge the bag in cold water. (This answer provided for NATA by the California University of Pennsylvania Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Turn Around, Don't Drown—Plus Other Ways to Stay Safe During a Flood
Floods are the most common and costly natural disaster in the United States, as well as one of the most deadly. According to the Centers for Disease C...
What should I do if I get sick on vacation?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
The best way to care for any illness while on vacation is to prepare for it ahead of time. Before yo...
Tips for a Fun and Safe Halloween
Tips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe Halloween
From candy to costumes, these tips will keep your kids safe this Halloween.
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?