What should I do if my child is exposed to a poisonous plant?

If your child has skin-to-plant contact with a poisonous plant, wash the affected area with soap and water as quickly as you can -- within ten minutes, if possible. You may also want to try dishwashing liquid, which removes the oil. Wash his clothes, too. You can use an anti-itch lotion such as Calamine or oatmeal baths to soothe the itch.

Oral antihistamines like Benadryl can also quell the reaction. Steroid creams can help, and in extreme cases, your kid's doc can prescribe oral steroids in a tapering-dose pattern. After the initial exposure, a child who is allergic will develop a systemic reaction, and the rash will pop up in places that did not necessarily touch the plant, especially the abdomen or face. The lesions are not contagious to others.

YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Pay Attention to What You Feed Your Dog
Pay Attention to What You Feed Your Dog
When Boodle, the Labrador retriever in Carl Hiaasen's novel Sick Puppy, swallows a few glass eyeballs from wall-mounted animal heads, the poor pup get...
How can I help a victim who is not breathing and has been under water?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
First, have someone call 911 immediately. If there is a possibility that the person injured their sp...
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
From fireworks to backyard barbeques, here’s how to help ensure your July 4th is fun and injury-free.
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?