What should I do if my child bites through his tongue?

Depending on the severity of the injury, referral to a doctor may be required. If your child has completely bitten through their tongue, immediate referral is necessary to treat the injury. Treatment usually consists of cleansing the site and stitching to close the wound. This injury is most commonly seen in sports that do not use mouth guards.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Georgia College & State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Keeping a well-stocked first aid kit in your home and car will help you can deal with an emergency as best as possible until help arrives. To maintain preparedness, you should check your first aid kit regularly to make sure all su...

pplies are intact, and batteries are charged. Taking a CPR and first aid class will also help you be prepared for emergencies.