What should I do if my child bites through his tongue?

Depending on the severity of the injury, referral to a doctor may be required. If your child has completely bitten through their tongue, immediate referral is necessary to treat the injury. Treatment usually consists of cleansing the site and stitching to close the wound. This injury is most commonly seen in sports that do not use mouth guards.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Georgia College & State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Get Ticked Off Earlier This Year
Get Ticked Off Earlier This Year
During the first days of April you can enjoy the season openers for major league baseball teams across the country. It’s when the Indians, Yankees and...
How can air get into the victim's stomach while I'm giving rescue breaths?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
This may happen if you breathe too long, breathe too hard or do not open the airway far enough.
What should I do if I get sick on vacation?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Here is what to do if you get sick on vacation: Consult a physician. If you have any of the follo...
Tips for a Fun and Safe Halloween
Tips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe Halloween
From candy to costumes, these tips will keep your kids safe this Halloween. Scary decorations, pumpkins on doorsteps and incredible candy sales at the...