What is the first aid treatment for second-degree burns?

To treat second-degree burns, immediately run cool water over the area for 15 minutes. Burn ointment or antibiotic cream should then be applied and covered with a dry bandage, which should be changed daily. Do not pop any blisters. Consult your doctor if there is any worsening of pain or redness, or any pus.
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine
The following are the first aid treatment guidelines for partial thickness burns:

• Get medical attention immediately if the burned area is greater than one percent of the body, located on the groin, over a joint or on the face. If a small area is involved, immerse in fresh, cold water (preferably sterile water). Or apply cold (ice/water) compresses. Continue until pain subsides.
  • Dry with a clean cloth and cover with sterile non-stick dressing, protecting intact blisters. (Clean, clear food wrap or a plastic bag can also be used.)
  • Elevate burned area.
  • Get medical help.
  • Do not break blisters.
  • Do not place ice directly on a burn.
  • Do not chill the victim.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Labor Day: Tips to Stay Out of the ER
Labor Day: Tips to Stay Out of the ER
It’s Labor Day! One last hurrah of a holiday before autumn, last chance to wear white (or so grandmother says) and—the #1 holiday for the greatest num...
How can I tell if an adult is having a cardiac emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
If an adult is not breathing, and if the emergency is not the result of drowning or other respirator...
Natural Mosquito Repellents That Really Work
Natural Mosquito Repellents That Really WorkNatural Mosquito Repellents That Really WorkNatural Mosquito Repellents That Really WorkNatural Mosquito Repellents That Really Work
Find out how to ward off mosquitoes without exposing your skin to harsh chemicals.
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?