How can I help a victim who is not breathing and has been under water?

Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Emergency Medicine
First, have someone call 911 immediately. If there is a possibility that the person injured their spinal column, be careful to minimize any movement beyond that needed to remove them from the water. If they do not have a pulse and are not breathing, immediately give two rescue breaths and start CPR chest compressions. Continue CPR until emergency care arrives.  
For an adult, give 2 rescue breaths as you would for a child or an infant once you determine there is no breathing.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Coping with the Cold
Coping with the Cold
A winter wonderland may be beautiful, but snow, ice and frigid temperatures can be dangerous. Here are our top four tips to protect yourself when you ...
How can I tell if an adult is having a cardiac emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
If an adult is not breathing, and if the emergency is not the result of drowning or other respirator...
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
From fireworks to backyard barbeques, here’s how to help ensure your July 4th is fun and injury-free.
What Are Some Grilling Safety Tips?
What Are Some Grilling Safety Tips?