How do I treat my poison ivy?

Shirley A. Jones, RN
Wash exposed skin and clothing thoroughly with soap and water. Also bathe an exposed pet. If poisoning develops, treat with calamine lotion, Epsom salts, or bicarbonate of soda. Seek medical attention for severe rashes, especially over large areas, involving the eyes, nose, or mouth, or accompanied by fever. 

Symptoms usually develop within 24 to 48 hours. They include severe itching, inflammation, and blistering, and oozing sores in serious cases.

Poison ivy can grow as a ground cover, shrub, or climbing vine. The leaves have three pointed leaflets. The edges can be smooth or toothed and are 2 to 4 inches (5-10 cm) long. Avoid touching or brushing against the plant, touching anything that has come in contact with it, and inhaling smoke from burning plants. 
First Aid, Survival, and CPR: Home and Field Pocket Guide

Be prepared for first aid care and survival in any setting-at home, on the road, outdoors, while boating, hiking, or camping. From performing CPR on an adult, child, or infant to dealing with bleeding and shock, cuts and broken bones, heart attacks, emergency childbirth, poisoning, drowning, scuba diving mishaps, wilderness survival, and natural disasters such as tornadoes, wildfires, floods, and earthquakes. This portable, waterproof guide helps you quickly find the information you need to develop a plan of action for assessing and treating all kinds of first aid and survival emergencies. A special feature includes pet safety describing how to assemble a pet first aid kit, performing CPR on a dog and cat, and keeping pets safe during natural disasters. Keep a copy in your home, car, boat, camper, or backpack and be "ready" when emergencies occur.
Poison ivy can be a bothersome condition. Dr. Oz discusses the most effective home remedies for poison ivy in this video.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

5 Lifesaving Emergency Tips
5 Lifesaving Emergency Tips
Most people don’t think about what they’d do in an emergency beyond calling 911. But did you know that the average time for an ambulance to arrive fro...
How can I tell if my rescue breaths into a stoma are working?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Your rescue breaths are successful if you see the chest rise and fall, and you hear and feel air esc...
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
From fireworks to backyard barbeques, here’s how to help ensure your July 4th is fun and injury-free.
What Are Some Grilling Safety Tips?
What Are Some Grilling Safety Tips?