What should I do if I suspect someone has been poisoned?

If you think someone has ingested poison, call for help immediately. Remember, suspected poisonings should be treated as serious, life-threatening situations -- because they are. Do not wait for signs of poisoning. Contact a poison-control hotline. If you call right away, the problem often can be solved over the phone.  

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Bug Bite Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
Along with backyard barbeques, picnics and humid hikes on summer days, come bug bites—lots of them. Some may simply go unnoticed while others are so i...
What is the first important thing I should do to help an injured person?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Calling 9-1-1 or the local emergency number for help. The call taker will send emergency medical ...
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
From fireworks to backyard barbeques, here’s how to help ensure your July 4th is fun and injury-free.
What Does the CDC Do to Help Make the US and World Safer and Healthier?