What should I do when poisoning occurs?

If a person inhaled poison, get him to fresh air right away. Then call a poison-control hotline for help. If a poison has touched a person's skin, take off any clothing the poison touched, cover injured skin with a clean cloth, and rinse the skin with running water for 15 to 20 minutes. Then call for help.

If a person has poison in the eyes, rinse them with running water for 15 to 20 minutes, then call for help. Lastly, if a person has ingested poison:
  • Call poison control if the victim is conscious; if he is unconscious, call an ambulance.
  • If the victim is unconscious and has vomited, clear the airway.
  • If the victim hasn't vomited, do not make him throw up. Strong poisons that can burn the throat during ingestion also can burn the throat through during regurgitation.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Which Is More Sanitary: Hand Towels or Air Dryers?
When you're in a public restroom, do you go for the paper towels or the air dryer after you wash your hands? To get your paws cleanest, choose the tow...
What should I do if I get sick on vacation?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
The best way to care for any illness while on vacation is to prepare for it ahead of time. Before yo...
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
From fireworks to backyard barbeques, here’s how to help ensure your July 4th is fun and injury-free.
What Does the CDC Do to Help Make the US and World Safer and Healthier?