What should I do when poisoning occurs?

Dr. Mehmet Oz, MD
Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease)
If a person inhaled poison, get him to fresh air right away. Then call a poison-control hotline for help. If a poison has touched a person's skin, take off any clothing the poison touched, cover injured skin with a clean cloth, and rinse the skin with running water for 15 to 20 minutes. Then call for help.

If a person has poison in the eyes, rinse them with running water for 15 to 20 minutes, then call for help. Lastly, if a person has ingested poison:
  • Call poison control if the victim is conscious; if he is unconscious, call an ambulance.
  • If the victim is unconscious and has vomited, clear the airway.
  • If the victim hasn't vomited, do not make him throw up. Strong poisons that can burn the throat during ingestion also can burn the throat through during regurgitation.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

The 411 on Poison Ivy
The 411 on Poison Ivy
Uma Thurman portrayed the villainess Poison Ivy in 1997’s Batman and Robin and her effort earned her a nomination for that year’s Razzie, or Golden Ra...
Read More
When should I call 911 at an emergency scene?
Univ. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family MedicineUniv. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family Medicine
You should call 911 at an emergency scene as soon as you are aware or arrive at the scene. This will...
More Answers
How should people who have medical conditions handle the summer heat?
Manuel B. Torres Jr., MDManuel B. Torres Jr., MD
That depends on the types of conditions. But, for the most part, people with a fairly common disease...
More Answers
What are the health risks of wood smoke?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Burning wood releases a bevy of gases and particles into the air. The gases include irritating o...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.