A poultice is a soft, moist, substance spread between layers of gauze or cloth and placed hot or warm onto a body surface. This helps blood flow and reduces pain. You can make a poultice for back pain by placing the paste of chopped herbs that have been lightly cooked or mashed between layers of cloth. Apply the tepid, moist poultice to the painful site, and allow it to stay in place as long as possible. Repeat several times each day.
- Q How do I give first aid for an insect sting or bite?
- Q Should I let my doctor know I am using antibiotic ointment?
- Q How do I give first aid for poisoning?
- Q How do I give first aid for a snakebite?
- Q Can I use first aid on strangers?
- Q What can I do to help minimize further injury when someone is hurt?