What is a poultice?

A poultice is a material that is soft and moist. It is similar to a warm compress in that it is heated and applied to areas of soreness. Some survivalists will uses poultice to treat boils and bug bites. You can make a poultice out of bread, condiments, herbs and leaves.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Bug-Borne Illnesses Are on the Rise—Here’s How to Avoid Them
While many bug bites cause only minor irritation, some can spread diseases like West Nile, Zika, dengue and Lyme disease. In fact, between 2004 and 20...
Tornado Preparedness: Your Guide to Staying Safe During a Tornado
While images of tornadoes may be beautiful in photographs, they can be deadly and wreak havoc on residential homes, businesses and natural habitats. T...
What should I do if I get sick on vacation?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Here is what to do if you get sick on vacation: Consult a physician. If you have any of the follo...
How to Perform the Heimlich Maneuver
How to Perform the Heimlich Maneuver