If I have a minor burn how should I cleanse my skin?

Minor burns may be washed with gentle use of mild soap and tap water. Avoid using skin disinfectants, as these may slow down the healing process.
For a minor burn, cool the burned skin by placing the affected area under cool water for 10 to 15 minutes. You also can put cold, wet compresses on your skin. This helps lower inflammation by pulling heat away from the skin. Cover the burned area with a large gauze bandage.

Call your doctor right away if you notice that the burned skin is becoming more painful or inflamed. Also, any burn in an elderly person, young child, or person with a weakened immune system needs immediate medical attention.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Toilet Seat Covers: Do They Work?
Toilet Seat Covers: Do They Work?
My husband runs every day with a jogging group. Often in the course of their runs they have a need for a Porta Potty. One day the guys in the group we...
How can I help a victim who is not breathing and has been under water?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
First, have someone call 911 immediately. If there is a possibility that the person injured their sp...
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
From fireworks to backyard barbeques, here’s how to help ensure your July 4th is fun and injury-free.
What Are Some Grilling Safety Tips?
What Are Some Grilling Safety Tips?