How should I splint an injury?

• Splint an injury in the position in which you find it.
  • For fractures, splint the joints above and below the site of the injury.
  • For sprains or joint injuries, splint the bones above and below the site of the injury.
  • If you are not sure if the injury is a fracture or a sprain, splint both the bones and joints above and below the point of injury.
  • Splinting materials should be soft or padded for comfort. Check for circulation (feeling, warmth, and color) before and after splinting to make sure that the splint is not too tight.
  • After you have splinted the injury, apply ice to the injured area. Keep the person from getting chilled or overheated and be reassuring.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Which Is More Sanitary: Hand Towels or Air Dryers?
When you're in a public restroom, do you go for the paper towels or the air dryer after you wash your hands? To get your paws cleanest, choose the tow...
What are the health risks of wood smoke?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Burning wood releases a bevy of gases and particles into the air. The gases include irritating o...
Tailgating Traumas to Avoid
Tailgating Traumas to AvoidTailgating Traumas to AvoidTailgating Traumas to AvoidTailgating Traumas to Avoid
Get your party on and get home safely.
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?