How should I moisturize my skin if I have poison ivy?

With a poison ivy rash, drying out the blisters is the goal, so you need to be careful about using moisturizers. While your poison ivy rash is active, instead of a moisturizer, experts suggest that you apply hydrocortisone cream or calamine lotion to the rash. These products will help relieve the itch and can help the blisters to dry up.

Use these products carefully, following the package directions. Using too much of these drying products can cause your skin to dry out too much. After your rash heals, you may apply a gentle moisturizer to help replenish the moisture and keep your skin healthy.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Toilet Seat Covers: Do They Work?
Toilet Seat Covers: Do They Work?
My husband runs every day with a jogging group. Often in the course of their runs they have a need for a Porta Potty. One day the guys in the group we...
How can air get into the victim's stomach while I'm giving rescue breaths?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
This may happen if you breathe too long, breathe too hard or do not open the airway far enough.
Natural Mosquito Repellents That Really Work
Natural Mosquito Repellents That Really WorkNatural Mosquito Repellents That Really WorkNatural Mosquito Repellents That Really WorkNatural Mosquito Repellents That Really Work
Find out how to ward off mosquitoes without exposing your skin to harsh chemicals.
What Are Some Grilling Safety Tips?
What Are Some Grilling Safety Tips?