How do I give first aid for cuts and scrapes?

Cuts and scrapes should be cleaned with warm water and a mild soap. Remove any foreign material such as dirt or grass. Many people apply a topical antibiotic such as bacitracin. The wound can be left open or covered with a sterile dressing such as gauze or a bandage. Check daily for redness, pus or other signs of infection.
Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
For small cuts and scrapes, cleansing of the wounds with hydrogen peroxide followed by antibiotic ointments will promote wound healing. Dry dressings may be replaced twice a day. Larger lacerations may require surgical debridement and closure.

Start by making sure the bleeding has stopped. In many cases, this will happen on its own, but you can apply pressure if it does not. Clean the wound and apply an antibiotic ointment. Finish with a bandage. If the cut is deep, you may require stitches. Lastly, keep an eye on the cut or scrape to make sure it's healing properly and not developing an infection.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Frostbite Can Happen Quickly if You're Not Careful
If you were stuck in the Antarctic ice on the Russian research ship Akademik Shokalskiy waiting for an icebreaker to rescue you, chances are you’d be ...
How can I tell if someone has become suddenly ill?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
  When a person becomes suddenly ill, he or she usually looks and feels sick. Common signs are: ...
Tips for a Fun and Safe Halloween
Tips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe Halloween
From candy to costumes, these tips will keep your kids safe this Halloween.
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?