How do I give first aid for cuts and scrapes?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Start by making sure the bleeding has stopped. In many cases, this will happen on its own, but you can apply pressure if it does not. Clean the wound and apply an antibiotic ointment. Finish with a bandage. If the cut is deep, you may require stitches. Lastly, keep an eye on the cut or scrape to make sure it's healing properly and not developing an infection.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Say Goodbye to Antibacterial Soaps
Say Goodbye to Antibacterial Soaps
In the 1966 campy TV romp, It’s About Time, two astronauts, Mac and Hector (Frank Aletter and Jack Mullaney) travel back in time and meet cave-dweller...
How can I help an unconscious person if they are not breathing?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
If an adult is not breathing, this person most likely needs immediate CPR.
Home Remedies That Can Land You in the ER
Home Remedies That Can Land You in the ERHome Remedies That Can Land You in the ERHome Remedies That Can Land You in the ERHome Remedies That Can Land You in the ER
Skip these DIY treatments—and see a medical professional, for goodness sake.  It’s understandable that you’d want to try treating conditions at home. ...
Ouch, What Bit Me? 10 Common Bug Bites
Ouch, What Bit Me? 10 Common Bug BitesOuch, What Bit Me? 10 Common Bug BitesOuch, What Bit Me? 10 Common Bug BitesOuch, What Bit Me? 10 Common Bug Bites
Some bites and stings are harmless, others could send you to the emergency room. Summer brings backyard barbecues, picnics in the park and days spent ...