Why should I check for more than one injured person at an emergency scene?

Look carefully for more than one person. You might not spot everyone at first.

If one person is bleeding or screaming, you might not notice an unconscious person. It also is easy to overlook a small child or an infant.

In an emergency with more than one injured or ill person, you may need to prioritize care.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Kid’s Safety: Worst Foods For Choking
Kid’s Safety: Worst Foods For Choking
A new study in the Journal of Pediatrics highlights the most dangerous foods for choking -- and the ones that lead to the most ER visits. According t...
How can I help an unconscious person if they are breathing?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Keep the person lying face-up and maintain an open airway by using the head-tilt/chin-lift technique...
How can air get into the victim's stomach while I'm giving rescue breaths?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
This may happen if you breathe too long, breathe too hard or do not open the airway far enough.
Home Remedies That Can Land You in the ER
Home Remedies That Can Land You in the ERHome Remedies That Can Land You in the ERHome Remedies That Can Land You in the ERHome Remedies That Can Land You in the ER
Skip these DIY treatments—and see a medical professional, for goodness sake.  It’s understandable that you’d want to try treating conditions at home. ...