What's the best way to remove a splinter?

To remove a splinter - whether it's in the form of a rose thorn or shards of wood or glass - lay a piece of duct tape on your skin and lift straight up. If the splinter is exposed, it will lift off with the tape. If the splinter is still there, try snipping the skin with a fingernail clipper (sterilize the clipper by boiling in hot water for 10 minutes or at least wash it off with alcohol first). Then use tweezers (we like to call them forceps) to pull out the splinter in the direction it entered. If this fails, a doctor can numb up the skin and remove it.

You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

How can I help someone care for their wound?
You can help by keeping their wound clean and bandaged. Encourage them to avoid scratching the w...
How can I care for my stitches?
Brian Evans, MDBrian Evans, MD
The best way to care for stitches is to follow your doctor's advice and keep the stitches clean. Lea...
How important is movement when caring for a wound?
Brian Evans, MDBrian Evans, MD
If a wound falls on a joint, doctors will often immobilize the area; movement can cause tearing. Lea...
What's the Best Way to Remove a Splinter?