What's the best way to remove a splinter?

Donnica Moore, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

If you get a splinter, you may want to reach into the fruit bowl instead of the first aid kit: In this video, women's health expert Dr. Donnica Moore describes a simple way to remove a splinter using a fruit you likely have in your kitchen right now.

To remove a splinter - whether it's in the form of a rose thorn or shards of wood or glass - lay a piece of duct tape on your skin and lift straight up. If the splinter is exposed, it will lift off with the tape. If the splinter is still there, try snipping the skin with a fingernail clipper (sterilize the clipper by boiling in hot water for 10 minutes or at least wash it off with alcohol first). Then use tweezers (we like to call them forceps) to pull out the splinter in the direction it entered. If this fails, a doctor can numb up the skin and remove it.

You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
What kind of bandage should I use for my wound?
Always use a clean and fresh adhesive strip (Band-Aid), sterile gauze or adhesive tape. Try to c...
How should I care for a wound with an embedded object?
Brian Evans, MDBrian Evans, MD
If a foreign body is embedded in a wound, it's important to seek immediate medical attention. Learn ...
What's the Best Way to Remove a Splinter?