How do I treat a wound?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Treating a wound depends on the severity, size, and concurrent medical history. In general, small wounds can be cleaned with sterile water and hydrogen peroxide with subsequent antibiotic creams. Wounds with necrotic or dead tissue should undergo wet to dry dressing changes at least twice a day. Once a bed of healthy bleeding tissue has formed, the edges may be debrided surgically and the edges reapproximated by a plastic surgeon. It is very important to never close a wound that is either grossly infected or purulent. Patients may also require commitant oral or intravenous antibiotics for larger infected wounds or cellulitis of surrounding tissue.
If you cut yourself, treat the wound properly to avoid an infection. Learn how to treat a nasty wound in this video by Dr. Oz.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
How should I care for a sucking chest wound?
Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
In addition to the information provided above, you should call 911 to transport the person emergentl...
How should I care for someone with a closed wound?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Many closed wounds, like bruises, do not require special medical care.To care for a closed wound, yo...
How Do I Treat a Wound?
How Do I Treat a Wound?