How long should I give back blows and chest thrusts on a choking infant?

Continue giving sets of 5 back blows and 5 chest thrusts until the object is forced out; the infant begins to cough forcefully, cry or breathe; or the infant becomes unconscious.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Choking

What are the signs of choking?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
The following are the signs of someone choking: Inability to speak, cough or breathe Very weak c...
How do I give chest compressions to an unconscious choking infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Locate the correct hand and finger position for chest compressions. Use the pads of two or three...
How do I give back blows to a conscious choking infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
To give back blows:   Position the infant face-down on your forearm, holding the infant's jaw w...
When should I call 9-1-1 for a breathing emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
If a person is not breathing or if breathing is too fast, too slow, noisy or painful, call 9-1-1...