How do I give chest compressions to an unconscious choking child?

Locate the correct hand position for chest compressions. Use the same technique that is used for CPR.
  • Give chest compressions. Compress an child's chest 30 times to a depth of at least 2 inches.
  • Compress at a rate of at least 100 chest compressions per minute; the 30 chest compressions should take about 18 seconds to complete.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Choking

How do I clear the airway of a large or pregnant person who is choking?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
If a conscious choking person is too big for you to reach around, is obviously pregnant or is kno...
How can I tell if a person has a partially blocked airway?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
With a partially blocked airway, the person usually can breathe with some trouble. A person wi...
How common is choking on food in children?
Nina L. Shapiro, MDNina L. Shapiro, MD
Choking on food sends more than 10,000 children to emergency rooms each year. While most of these ch...
How do I give rescue breaths to an unconscious choking child?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Give 2 rescue breaths. Tilt the head back, pinch the nose shut and seal your mouth over the chil...