What should I do if I get bitten by a snake?

First, get far enough away from the snake so it cannot attack you again.

Second, call 911 and get help. If this is not possible, move to an area where you can call or have someone drive you to the hospital.

Third, do not elevate the injury. Keep it below the level of the heart. (This answer provided for NATA by the California University of Pennsylvania Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about First Aid For Animal Encounters

A Real Remedy for Jellyfish Stings—That’s Not Pee
When former Spice Girl Mel B. volunteered to appear on Running Wild with Bear Grylls in 2016 she knew she’d be in for an adventure of a lifetime. But ...
What should I do if my child is stung by a bee?
If you ever see a child have a run-in with a bee, a wasp, or a pile of fire ants, you know his react...
How do I care for someone who has been bitten by an animal?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
To care for an animal bite: Control bleeding first if the wound is bleeding seriously. Do not ...
How can an animal bite cause an emergency?
Dr. Elif E. Oker, MDDr. Elif E. Oker, MD
Animal bites can cause an emergency if they result in significant trauma to the body and/or an infec...