If someone becomes suddenly ill, what conditions should I care for first?

First care for life-threatening conditions such as unconsciousness; trouble breathing; no breathing; severe bleeding; severe chest pain; or signs of a stroke, such as weakness, numbness, or trouble with speech.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
How can I tell if an adult or a child is conscious at an emergency scene?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The adult or child may be able to speak to you. He or she may be moaning, crying, making some ot...
How can someone at work help me if I have a seizure?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
The best thing you can do for them is to protect them from injury during the seizure. Lay them on th...
Introducing the Texas Two Step CPR Campaign