If my child is running a low fever, should I keep her home from school?

Thermometers can sometimes be inaccurate, so it's important to also note how your child is acting. In this video, I discuss how if your child's fever is below 100.4 and they're acting fine, it's probably okay to go to school.
When your child has a fever, it can be hard to decide whether to keep him or her home. If the child is coughing, looking really sick, sleepy, vomiting or has diarrhea, it's a good idea to keep him or her home. If the child is acting and playing normally, it is okay to let him or her go. Some viral infections will present with a mild fever and nothing else, and the child will do well with normal activity. Doctors define a fever as a rectal temperature greater than 100.6 degrees Fahrenheit (or an oral temperature greater than 99.6 degrees). Which means that children can have mild elevations of temperature and not truly have a fever.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
How do I prevent spreading disease after providing emergency care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Avoid handling any of your personal items such as pens or combs while giving care, or until you ...
How do I interview an injured or ill person to find out what happened?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Remember to first identify yourself and to get the person’s consent to give care. Begin by asking th...
How to Use an AED
How to Use an AED