How can I determine if a person is unconscious?

If you think someone is unconscious, tap him or her on the shoulder and ask if he or she is OK. Use the person’s name if you know it. Speak loudly.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
When is it ok to stop giving first aid care in an emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
In general, you should give care until: You see a sign of life, such as breathing EMS personnel ta...
How should I care for someone having a severe allergic reaction?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Monitor the person’s breathing and for any changes in the person’s condition. Give care for life-...
How Lifesaving CPR Works
How Lifesaving CPR Works