What steps should I take to develop a financial plan for retirement?

When it comes to saving money, start saving yesterday. Tuck your savings in accounts where it will grow. Take advantage of programs that maximize what you'll get from your employer and the government:
  • Put money into a 401(k). Put in the maximum amount you can. If your employer has a matching program, invest as much as they will match -- it's like free money!
  • Work past 65. Today's seniors are often retiring later than 65. If you like to stay busy, the extra income (plus your employer's health benefits, if available) will only help your savings.
  • Delay Social Security. If you put off taking Social Security payments until after 70, you will get larger payments (between 3% and 8%) when you start taking the money.
Are you planning to live off your savings in retirement? Do some math to figure out how much you will need to have saved. If you want to maintain your current standard of living, look at how much you currently spend a month and divide your savings by that number. That's how long your current savings will last in retirement.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.
Philip Lisagor, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
You could take the following steps when developing a financial plan for retirement or death:
  • Establish goals
  • Gather data
  • Analyze and evaluate your financial status
  • Develop a plan
  • Implement the plan
  • Monitor and review the plan annually and make needed adjustments

Continue Learning about Financial Health for Mental Well-Being

How much should I be saving for emergencies only?
I'm not going to get into the nitty gritty of telling you whether I believe investing in internation...
What percentage of my paycheck should I put toward retirement?
Let's assume you've already set aside ten percent of your paycheck for emergency funds. Take another...
How are human's brains hard-wired to react to money?
Like so many other health issues, this one also starts in the brain - more specifically why we're ha...
Why should I treat my money the same way I treat my body?
While we know that financial burdens can weigh us down, a lot of us would like to ignore the issues ...