What are the pros of continuous support during childbirth?

Prof. Kathy Snider
Neonatal Nursing Specialist

Continuous support during labor and delivery has many benefits for women and infants and virtually no known harm. All women should have support throughout labor and birth. In the hospital setting, the labor nurse is readily available to provide continuous support during the labor and birth experience. In a birthing clinic, labor support may come from nurses, midwives or doulas. Doulas are lay people who are trained in how best to support women in labor. Doulas act as the support a woman needs emotionally, assisting in carrying out the plans that the parents have selected to provide them with the "right" birth experience for them. A doula does not replace the role of the father or partner, but enhances it. Many times a couple does not know all of their options, and the doula, along with the nurse, midwife or physician can help to explain and reassure the family. Research has shown that continuous support provided by midwives and doulas, during labor may reduce the duration of labor and the number of cesarean deliveries. This has also been shown to be true about doulas.

In fact, medical studies have shown that having continuous labor support present can provide the following benefits for the laboring mother:

• 50% reduction in cesarean rate
  • 60% reduction in epidural requests
  • 40% reduction in the use of Pitocin
  • 25% shorter labor
  • 30% reduction in use of analgesia
  • 40% reduction in forceps use

Continuous labor support for the woman in labor often includes providing a constant presence for emotional and physical support for her and helping her to remember why she's doing this: A healthy mom and healthy baby!

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

What Is Hyperemesis Gravidarum?
What Is Hyperemesis Gravidarum?
Can I Drink Alcohol During Pregnancy?
Can I Drink Alcohol During Pregnancy?
What Medications Should I Avoid If I'm Pregnant or Trying to Get Pregnant?
When Is the Proper Time to Tell Your Child They Have a Sibling On the Way?