What happens to my abdominal muscles during pregnancy?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
During pregnancy, your abdominal muscles become stretched out because of the fetus's increasing size. They lose some of the force they were able to generate prior to pregnancy. Think of a rubber band that has been stretched for a while and then released. It doesn't just snap back on its own. The good news is that, unlike a rubber band, your abdominal muscles can regain their strength and tension again with some effort on your part. Specific training will be required but the payoff will be preventing back pain down the road -- as well as slimming your tummy faster.

Your abdominal muscles may also have separated during your pregnancy, causing a condition after pregnancy known as diastasis recti. This happens along the linea alba, which divides the abdominals into left and right halves. All the abdominal muscles attach here.
Fixing You: Back Pain During Pregnancy: Self-treatment for sciatica, back pain, SI Joint or pelvic pain, and advice for abdominal strengthening post partum.

Changes happen during pregnancy that not only lead to back pain during pregnancy but also afterward. Many of these changes affect the shape of the spine and tilt of the pelvis. Both of these...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

The Importance of Post-Partum Weight Loss
It took Reese Witherspoon eight weeks; Uma Thurman six weeks; and Heidi Klum hit the Victoria's Secret runway five weeks after delivering her fourth c...
What is Centering Pregnancy?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
Centering Pregnancy moves prenatal care from the exam room into group space to integrate the three m...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
Can I Prevent Problems with Pregnancy After Age 40?