Are vivid dreams common during pregnancy?

Many pregnant women (and especially postpartum women) report that their dreams become extremely vivid - even nightmarish. This vividness may result from the extreme range of emotions that pregnant women experience, as well as from disrupted sleep patterns in pregnancy and postpartum.

It's also believed that the prevalence of the hormone oxytocin may influence the intensity of dreams. So your brain and subconscious may be in overdrive when you have that very vivid dream, but it could also be a symptom of a mood or anxiety disorder, and you may need some interventions (perhaps even a sedative prescribed by a doctor) to help break the pattern of bizarre dreams and get your sleep back on track.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Fracking May Cause Developmental Defects
A study from the University of Missouri-Columbia has some scary health news about oil and gas hydraulic fracturing, also kno...
What is hypnobirthing?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Hypnobirthing is a specific method of hypnosis and awareness practice for birth. Many proponents cit...
What is pregnancy?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
Pregnancy is the state of carrying a developing embryo or fetus within the female body, specifically...
What Changes Can I Expect in My Body After Giving Birth?