Are vivid dreams common during pregnancy?

Many pregnant women (and especially postpartum women) report that their dreams become extremely vivid - even nightmarish. This vividness may result from the extreme range of emotions that pregnant women experience, as well as from disrupted sleep patterns in pregnancy and postpartum.

It's also believed that the prevalence of the hormone oxytocin may influence the intensity of dreams. So your brain and subconscious may be in overdrive when you have that very vivid dream, but it could also be a symptom of a mood or anxiety disorder, and you may need some interventions (perhaps even a sedative prescribed by a doctor) to help break the pattern of bizarre dreams and get your sleep back on track.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Male Postpartum Depression is Real
Male Postpartum Depression is Real
Michael Keaton, in the 1983 film Mr. Mom, put a new face on the stay-at-home dad who wades into the responsibility—and let’s face it, the down-right v...
Why should I count my baby's kicks during pregnancy?
Count the KicksCount the Kicks
There are various benefits to counting your baby's kicks during pregnancy. Significant changes in yo...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
How Soon After Giving Birth Can I Have Sex?