What do doctors look for in the first ultrasound in pregnancy?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

After checking the size of your belly to make sure your doctor or midwife has predicted the right gestational age of the baby, the sonographer will look at things like the volume of amniotic fluid, the anatomy of the brain and heart, the face, kidneys, limbs, bones, and the blood vessels in the umbilical cord to make sure they're all developing healthfully. They're also looking for more ambiguous things like the baby's general tone.

YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

What You Can (and Can’t) Eat During Pregnancy
Two years ago, I was working overnights in the ER, drinking grande lattes and enjoying a multi-course sushi dinner for a friend’s bachelorette …. two ...
What is neonatal death?
March of DimesMarch of Dimes
Neonatal death is when a baby dies after birth in the first 28 days of life. The most common causes ...
What are the pros of continuous support during childbirth?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
Continuous support during childbirth can have a number of benefits. Having a close friend or loved o...
When Is the Proper Time to Tell Your Child They Have a Sibling On the Way?