What do doctors look for in the first ultrasound in pregnancy?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

After checking the size of your belly to make sure your doctor or midwife has predicted the right gestational age of the baby, the sonographer will look at things like the volume of amniotic fluid, the anatomy of the brain and heart, the face, kidneys, limbs, bones, and the blood vessels in the umbilical cord to make sure they're all developing healthfully. They're also looking for more ambiguous things like the baby's general tone.

YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

The Importance of Post-Partum Weight Loss
It took Reese Witherspoon eight weeks; Uma Thurman six weeks; and Heidi Klum hit the Victoria's Secret runway five weeks after delivering her fourth c...
Which vaccinations should I have during pregnancy?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
Some vaccines can and should be given during a pregnancy, while others, specifically the ones contai...
How do I control asthma during pregnancy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
It's very important for asthma to be under control in pregnancy, because if the patient is not getti...
What Medications Should I Avoid If I'm Pregnant or Trying to Get Pregnant?