What do doctors look for in the first ultrasound in pregnancy?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

After checking the size of your belly to make sure your doctor or midwife has predicted the right gestational age of the baby, the sonographer will look at things like the volume of amniotic fluid, the anatomy of the brain and heart, the face, kidneys, limbs, bones, and the blood vessels in the umbilical cord to make sure they're all developing healthfully. They're also looking for more ambiguous things like the baby's general tone.

YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Avoiding 21st Century Hazards While You’re Pregnant
"Can you hear me now?” “Can you hear me now? ”  When actor Paul Marcarelli uttered that phrase -- over, and over, and over again -- in a mobile phone ...
Which vaccinations should I have during pregnancy?
Johnston-Willis Hospital - HCA VirginiaJohnston-Willis Hospital - HCA Virginia
Among all the health questions that arise during pregnancy, one of the biggest is: what medicines an...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
Can I Exercise During Pregnancy?
Can I Exercise During Pregnancy?