What are the bumps that develop on my areola during pregnancy?

In addition to other changes in your breasts, you'll develop Montgomery's tubercules—small, harmless bumps on your areola. These bumps actually secrete a lubricant that discourages bacteria growth—a reason not to wash your nipples with soap. Later on, this lubricant will also help prevent your nipples from cracking during breastfeeding.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Why More U.S. Women Are Dying From Pregnancy-Related Issues
Hundreds of women die each year from pregnancy-related issues and most of these deaths are preventable, according to the Centers for Disease Control a...
What should I expect before, during and after amniocentesis?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Amniocentesis does carry a risk of miscarriage or major complications in 1-in-200 to 1-in-400 pregna...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
How Is Hyperemesis Gravidarum Treated?
How Is Hyperemesis Gravidarum Treated?