When should I call my doctor if I have pelvic organ prolapse?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

You should talk to your doctor about your pelvic organ prolapse symptoms early on. Although the subject might seem embarrassing, you will be glad you did. Early treatment can help keep the symptoms from getting worse and interfering with your quality of life. Your doctor can also help you minimize the risk for complications, such as infections or incontinence, if your pelvic organ prolapse is affecting your bladder or bowel functions.

If you feel like something is not in the right place vaginally, you may have pelvic organ prolapse and should see your doctor.

Dr. Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

Of course you should talk to your doctor about these symptoms when the appear. These symptoms can cause a significant amount of problems in your everyday life and can lead to problems with emptying your bowel and your bladder. They can also cause a significant amount of problems with intimacy and pain with intercourse is one of the main symptoms of pelvic organ prolapse (POP).

Continue Learning about Female Reproductive System Disorders

What is the luteal phase defect (LPD)?
RESOLVE: The National Infertility AssociationRESOLVE: The National Infertility Association
Luteal phase defect (LPD) occurs when the endometrium is inadequately prepared, either because the s...
What increases the risk for female genital problems?
Female genital problems are caused by a variety of things with their own risk factors, but there are...
Is there a cure for pelvic organ prolapse?
In many cases, pelvic organ prolapse can be cured or resolved with effective treatment. Surgery ofte...
How can lifestyle changes help improve pelvic organ prolapse?
Some of the potential symptoms of pelvic organ prolapse can be improved with lifestyle changes, such...