How is pelvic organ prolapse treated?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

In severe cases of pelvic organ prolapse where other treatment methods have not alleviated the symptoms, surgery may be the treatment of choice. During this type of surgery, a surgeon repairs the weakened or damaged portion of the pelvic muscles and connective tissue and pushes the protruding organ back into place. In some cases the upper part of the vagina is surgically attached to a nearby bone for support. A mesh may be used if necessary to keep the organ in place. The surgeon may also make repairs to resolve urinary or bowel incontinence if that is an issue. The operation may be done through the vagina or an incision may be made in the abdominal wall. Because of the structures involved, surgery is usually only performed on women who are not planning to have more children.

Continue Learning about Female Reproductive System Disorders

Can pelvic organ prolapse be prevented?
You can help prevent pelvic organ prolapse by addressing the risk factors that are within your contr...
How do vaginal support devices treat pelvic organ prolapse?
Vaginal support devices known as pessaries are sometimes used to treat severe pelvic organ prolapse ...
How do I manage my pelvic organ prolapse on a daily basis?
How you manage your pelvic organ prolapse on a daily basis will depend on the severity of the prolap...
Do I need to call my doctor about vaginal bleeding with an odor?
It is recommended that you call your doctor for vaginal bleeding accompanied by an odor, discharge o...